Saturday, April 14, 2018

Movie Review: The Miracle Season

The Rotten Tomatoes ratings for the new movie "The Miracle Season" are only 44% and once again the critics are wrong. I thought this was an outstanding real life sports movie, one of the best I have ever seen.

Over the years in my experience, the most successful sports movies are true stories and The Miracle Season is an amazing true story about a girls high school volleyball team from Iowa City Iowa in 2011. This movie stars Helen Hunt as the coach of the team and William Hurt as the father a standout high school girl volleyball player who is tragically killed when she loses control of her moped. I wondered how any father of a child could have survived what he went through losing his daughter in a tragic accident and then his wife to cancer some weeks later. The grief he must have endured is beyond belief.

The miracle here is how the young girls came back from their overwhelming grief of their star player Caroline "Line" Found - who has the most unusual last name I have ever heard about. The first challenge was even being able to play Volleyball again much less coming so far back to win a state championship. I thought the acting was outstanding throughout this film. Of course this is a tearjerker type of story, but how could it not be, considering that this is true story about a true life tragedy and a group of athletes who overcame their grief to win a championship.

I thought this movie was very well done and I recommend it, despite the critics, who are once again, very wrong.

No comments: