Sunday, January 28, 2018

Movie Review: Call me by Your Name

Only because of the fact that "Call me by Your Name" along with "The Shape of Water" are both nominated for best picture this year and the ratings for this movie are incredibly in the high 90's on rotten-tomatoes, I decided to see this film. For the life of me, I cannot understand why anyone likes this boring, overly long story about a man in his early 30's and a young boy in his teens - who are trying to decide if they are gay - was ever made into a movie - much less liked by anyone. There is no real story here, just a series of boring scenes in an old town in Italy and I could not wait until it was all over and in the end, after about 2 hours I had to leave early because I just could not stand the whole bad experience.

Considering that 9 movies are nominated now for the Academy Awards and a great movie like "Molly's Game" was not even nominated and this one was, tells me that there is something very wrong with the voting process for the Academy Awards. As far as the performances, by Armie Hammer who is not gay and the other actor - they were OK but the agony of sitting through this mess was so bad I didn't even notice. There was also way too much smoking in this movie, even considering that it was set in the year 1983. The sexual scenes were done tastefully, with the exception of one disgusting scene involving a peach that I thought was in very poor taste.

This is one of the worst movies I have seen for a while, and one of the rare times I have walked out of a film before it was over. Do yourself a favor and miss this very bad waste of 2 hours.

No comments: